Sonic the Hedgehog advert.
If you could with for 3 things to change in the Sonic games, and 3 things to change in the Archie comics, what would they be?
3 changes I’d make to Sonic games
- Place Shiro Maekawa back into the position of lead writer. Tails jerkification and Sonic flanderization would stop as would ‘comedy’ that falls flat and stories that cultivate plot points only to ignore them. We could once again actually take Sonic narratives seriously.
- Stop experimenting. Take a solid gameplay engine and stick with it. This series has been going through game design like they’re dirty diapers and feels like it lacks an identity in regards to it.
- Make other characters playable and truly relevant again. Wisps would get the chop as they poorly substitute for other characters and have outlived their welcome.
3 changes I’d make to the comics
- Stricter control over and monitoring of character portrayal. Rouge has been mangled enough. Blaze has been the damsel in distress far too much. Sonic is too much of a jerkass. None of this would be allowed under my watch.
- Cutting out the meme-citing. It’s obnoxious pandering, a very low form of wit and is a poor substitute for truly clever and relevant humor.
- Have more control over pacing. We’ve often been getting stories that go on for extended periods with little satisfying pay-off and which feel like they’re really dragging.
Here’s one of Amy. It’s as if I’m drawing the cast or something!
I’m taking commissions right now if you want anything, check it out!